Trey Fontaine is the lead character in my debut novel, #Ultimate Justice, A Trey Fontaine Mystery.An FBI agent with degrees in #Linquistics and Ethnicities, he was raised in the small town of Raven Bayou, Louisiana, where the story is set. Enjoy the interview.
1. What about you is #heroic?
I’m no hero. My dad was a hero and I’ve always wanted to be like him, but I’ve done things I know he would never do. And he did things that I don’t know if I’m able to do. I’m just a guy who wants to be the best agent there is.
2. What about you is social? What do you like about people?
I see people at their worst. When I encounter them, they have either been a victim of some evil, or they have perpetrated some evil. Do I like them? I feel for them. I sometimes pity them. I often get angry with them. When you live in my world, you only see good and evil. It’s a simple matter of black and white, right and wrong. I like good people. Evil people need to be eliminated.
3. What is your real, birth name? What name do you use?
Tremaine Fontaine, Jr. aka Trey.
4. What do you look like? (Include height, weight, hair, eyes, skin, apparent age, and distinguishing features)
I’m just a regular guy. Six feet tall. 210 pounds. Dark hair. Brown eyes. My skin is tan like my dad’s. He was French. I’m thirty-two years old. No tats. I do have a scar on my butt. Got shot. That’s enough detail on that issue.
5. How do you dress most of the time?
Black tee-shirt and jeans. Black boots. If I must dress up, I have a black sports jacket, and a black suit. I found that stains don’t show so much on black clothes, and I don’t have to worry about anything matching.
6. What do you wear when you go to sleep?
Tee-shirt and boxer briefs, unless it’s hot.
7. Do you wear any jewelry?
My dad’s gold cross. It was a gift from my god-father to my dad. They were partners on the Raven Bayou Sheriff’s Dept.
8. In your opinion, what is your best feature?
My brain. I work hard to keep in shape, so I have some definition, but I don’t think of myself as handsome or well built. What I am is strong and healthy. Well, mostly healthy.
9. Do you own a car? Describe it.
A silver 1999 full sized #Hummer called Streak.
10. Who was your father, and what was he like?
Tremaine Fontaine. He was a cop. He was a good dad. Laid back. Kind and gentle. Everyone says I look a lot like him, except he was slimmer, but that’s probably because I work out.
11. What was your parent’s marriage like?
They loved each other, and got along well. I don’t remember them ever fighting, except that one day I saw my mother cry because dad had promised to come home on time for supper, and then didn’t come home at all. He just worked late, but she was really upset. Later I over heard them talking and found out that she was just scared because he was a cop and she thought maybe he’d been killed on the job. A year later, that was exactly what happened.
12. What were you like in high school? What “clique” did you best fit in with?
I was a decent student and a football player, a running back. I was pretty good too, but blew out my knee halfway through my senior year. The surgery fixed the damage and I can walk and run, but my football days were over. My speed was affected too severely. That’s okay. I never really wanted to be anything except a cop.
13. Who did you first fantasize about in your life?
#Gemini Taylor. She was older than me, and the most beautiful girl in town.
14. Do you tend to save or spend your money? Why?
I don’t deliberately put savings away. I earn enough to have the things I want and have a little left over. Until I get married, I don’t really need much. And I don’t really see myself getting married, so I’m not worried about it.
15. What’s been your favorite movie of all time?
#Die Hard with Bruce Willis.
16. What annoys you more than anything else?
People who don’t finish what they start.
17. What’s your favorite animal? Why?
#Dogs. They love unconditionally. They don’t judge. They are loyal.
18. Would you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else? Why?
I’m straight. I love women and have never been attracted to men.
19. Do you drink on any kind of regular basis?
A beer or two, or a glass of wine. I’ve been known to drink whiskey, but I try to stay away from it because it tends to bring out anger in me.
20. What trait do you find most admirable, and how often do you find it?
Honesty. It’s rare among humans. I don’t think I know anyone who is always completely honest. Not even me. We aren’t even honest with ourselves sometimes.